Research suggests that treatment of substance use disorders is more effective for sustained recovery. We also know that the longer someone remains in treatment, the more likely the person is to have sustained recovery. From a social work lens, discuss how you would approach a client about entering treatment. How would you discuss this with the clientâ€™s family? How will you determine what level of care will best serve the clientâ€™s immediate needs? What will you recommend for the family? How will you explain this to the family? How will you introduce the idea of 12-step meetings to the client?
300 Words APA format
- Textbook: Van Wormer, K. & Davis, D.R. (2018). Chapter 6 (pp. 246-293), Chapter 8 (pp. 313-351), & Chapter 9 (pp. 353-387).
- Textbook: Sheff, D. (2013). Parts IV & V (Chapters 9-14).
- Koehn, C., Oâ€™Neill, L. & Sherry, J. (2012). Hope-focused interventions in substance abuse counseling. International Journal of Mental Health & Addiction, 1(3), 441-452.
- Cooper, S.E. (2018). A primer on college student substance use disorders: screening, assessment, and treatment planning. Journal of College Student Psychotherapy, 32(1), 73-89.
- Mowbray, O. & Quinn, A. (2016). A scoping review of treatments for older adults with substance use problems. Research on Social Work Practice, 26(1), 74-87.
- Crits-Christoph, P., Connolly-Gibbons, M.B., Johnson, J.E., & Gallop, R. (2013). Process predictors of the outcome of group drug counseling. Journal of Consulting & Clinical Psychology, 81(1), 23-34.
- Donovan, D. M., Ingalsbe, M. H., Benbow, J., & Daley, D. C. (2013). 12-step interventions and mutual support programs for substance use disorders: An overview. Social Work in Public Health, 28(0), 313â€“332. http://doi.org/10.1080/19371918.2013.774663.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: What is Drug Addiction Treatment?
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: Substance Abuse Counseling Techniques
- Treatment Solutions: Substance Abuse Treatment Therapy Models
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration: Treatments for Substance Use Disorders
- Optional Textbook: Vaughn, M. & Perron, B. (2013). Chapters 6â€“8 (pp. 87â€“136), Chapter 11 (pp. 183-195), & Chapter 13 (pp. 213-224).
- Practice Demonstration â€“ Substance Abuse Counseling Video (Time 23:04 mins)
- Substance Abuse Treatment and Group Therapy Video: TIP41 Group Therapy for Counseling Training and CEUs for LPC and Addiction Counselors (Time 1 hr, 26 mins) â€“ Transcript
- Harm Reduction Therapy for Addictions Video (Time 4:32 mins) â€“ Transcript with time stamps
- Optional: Alan Marlatt on Harm Reduction Therapy for Substance Abuse Video: (Time 1 hr, 11 mins).