Use the readings and multimedia in this module to support your comments.
- Review the criteria for substance use disorders and the screening tools used for assessment. Create a fictitious client (using popular cartoon character names) and describe his/her presenting issue(s), sharing some concrete examples of behaviors and symptoms that the client exhibits that would clearly fit the criteria for a substance use disorder diagnosis.
- Discuss what the appropriate next steps are for this client when discovering that the screening result is “positive” for a substance use problem.
For this discussion, your first post must respond to the prompt. The second and third posts should be reactions to peersâ€™ postings. The goal is for everyone to be actively engaged in this conversation.
400 Words APA format
Wormer, K. & Davis, D. (2018). Addiction treatment: a strengths perspective. Boston, MA: Cengage Learning. ISBN-13: 978-1305943308
Sheff, D. (2013). Clean: overcoming addiction and ending Americaâ€™s greatest tragedy. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. ISBN: 978-0547848655
(2014). Drugs and the Brain | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugs-brains-behavior-science-addiction/drugs-brain
(Presentation Slides https://d14rmgtrwzf5a.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/soa_2014.pdf )
- NASW Materials: NASW Standards for SW Practice with Clients with Substance Use Disorders
- SAMHSA Materials: Applying Substance Abuse Confidentiality Regs
- SAMHSA Materials: Drug Abuse Screening Test (DAST-10), Other Screening Tools
- PsychCentral: Symptoms of Substance Use Disorders (Revised for DSM-5)