Week Two Presbycusis Paper
Presbycusis is a condition affecting the hearing of many adults. There are a variety of causes, including damage to structures of the middle and inner ear. The result is loss of hearingâ€”not complete deafness, but difficulty in detecting certain sounds within the normal range of hearing. Use each numbered item as a required subheading in your paper. Students should preview the grading rubric before beginning the assignment.
- explain how normal hearing occurs. Include in your discussion the following points:
- How is sound transmitted from the environment outside the body to the inner ear? What structures are involved, and how do they transmit sound?
- What happens in the inner ear (cochlea) when sound waves are converted to neural signals? How is sound frequency (pitch) processed?
- Next, summarize the causes of presbycusis and explain how they will interfere with the normal processing of sound as outlined above.
- Discuss one source of presbycusis involving a problem with the outer/middle ear.
- Discuss one source of presbycusis involving a problem with the inner ear.
- Finally, describe what it might be like to have presbycusis. Include the following points:
- If you have normal hearing now, how would your ability to converse with others be affected?
- What activities that you now enjoy would be limited by this condition?
- How would such a condition affect your work life?
The paper should include:
- Be a minimum of 3.5 and a maximum of 4.5 full pages, size 12 font Times New Roman, double spaced with 1 inch margins, NOT including the Title and References pages.
- A title page
- Include the sub headings of: â€œIntroductionâ€, â€œHow Normal Hearing Occursâ€, â€œCauses of Presbycusisâ€, â€œHaving Presbycusisâ€, and â€œConclusionsâ€.
- Introductory paragraph ending in a clear thesis statement
- Several well-developed (5-7 sentences) body paragraphs that explore the assignment questions in detail
- A summary and conclusions paragraph
- Three references, two of which cannot be from the class readings.
Be sure to submit your project in one Word document in APA 6th ed.