Competencies Addressed in This Assignment
- Competency 2: Correlate the role of each branch of government with Bill of Rights interpretation.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively in writing.
Throughout the course, we will be looking at historical connections to understand current and future criminal justice system implications. In this unit, you learned about the history of the U.S. Constitution, the structure of the legal system, and implementation in the context of our government. These areas are the foundation for understanding the criminal justice practitioner connection. As the law changes, professionals working in the criminal justice system need to remain aware of what is current. Failure to do so can cause legitimate cases to be dismissed, allow persons who are guilty of crimes to get away, and open up liability at different levels. Likewise, the individual rights of innocent citizens can be affected in our U.S. legal system.
Prepare a 3-page paper, citing a minimum of two academically verified references, describing the structure of government, including the three branches, power allocated to each branch, the source of power, and the separation of powers. Explain how each branch has obligations and roles associated with the interpretation of the Bill of Rights. Address why this understanding of the branches of government and the Bill of Rights application is important in a career context.
Be sure to review the Connecting the Past and Present and Looking Ahead Scoring Guide to ensure that you understand the criteria for this assignment.
Use the links provided in the Resources to help you complete the assignment.
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Resources and citations: Format according to APA guidelines.
- Required page count: Three, not including the title page or the references page.
- Required number of references: A minimum of two.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.