During Weeks 2â€’4 you will complete three collaborative projects with your Book Study Group members. Use a communication tool to connect with group members on these collaborations (e.g., email, Blackboard Collaborate, Google Hangouts, Microsoft Team, and so on).
This weekâ€™s collaborative project is an ethics case study analysis assignment. Before starting this collaborative activity, read Case 1 and Case 3 (Schage, 1997), which deal with deception in social science research. For this case study analysis, you will develop the following components:
Case Study Analysis Components (See Ethics of the Mindâ€”Case Study Analysis Template):
- Determine which case the group will discuss and analyze (Case 1 or Case 3).
- Discuss the case using the practical and theoretical ethics ideas you have studied in this weekâ€™s resources.
- Each group member will locate and review an ethics decision-making model that can be applied to the case. (Resources can be found below and in the project template).
- Discuss the case using the decision-making models that the group members locate.
- Each group member will record their decision-making model on their individual Case Study Analysis template. Complete segments Aâ€’D of the template at the end of the group discussions.
- The group may collaborate on searching for articles but each group member should find one â€œchoiceâ€ empirical research study that can inform the case study analysis. Individual members will list their article on the LR matrix template they submit.
Additional Resources on Ethical Decision-Making
- Ethics Guide: Duty-Based Ethics (BBC, 2014) [Web page]
- Consequentialism & Utilitarianism
- About Consequentialism (BBC, 2014) [Web page]
- Evolutionary Psychology
- A Model for Ethical Decision Making in Business (Woiceshyn, 2011) pages 317-319 [Web page]
- Distributive Justice
- Justice Test (Hamilton, 2012) [Web page]
- Circles of Trust (Center for Courage & Renewal, 2009) [Web page ]
- Chapter 1: The Primacy of Soul (Center for Courage & Renewal, 2008) [Video] [Transcript]
- Chapter 2: The Great Divide (Center for Courage & Renewal, 2008) [Video] [Transcript]
- Chapter 3: Journey Toward an Undivided Life (Center for Courage & Renewal, 2008) [Video] [Transcript]
- Note: These videos are also available on a DVD that is included with your text: A Hidden Wholeness (Palmer, 2009)
BBC. (2014). About consequentialism. Ethics guide. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/introduction/consequen…
BBC. (2014). Duty-based ethics. Ethics guide. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/introduction/consequen…
Hamilton, J. B. (2012). Justice test. Ethics Ops. Retrieved from http://ethicsops.com/JusticeTest.php
Schrag, J. (1997). Do the ends justify the means: The ethics of deception in social science research. In B. Schrag (Ed.), Graduate research ethics: Cases and commentaries â€“ Volume 1, 1997. Retrieved from http://www.onlineethics.org/Resources/Cases/justif…
Woiceshyn, J. (2011). A model for ethical decision making in business: Reasoning, intuition, and rational moral principles. Journal of Business Ethics, 104(3), 311â€’323. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org.cupdx.idm.oclc.org/stable/pdf…