A cause of action for improper disclosure of health information may result from either a negligent or intentional act. Complete an Internet search and find news stories related to breach of patient confidentiality. Write a summary of at least one of the stories you find outlining the elements of a cause of action for negligence outlined in the Reading for this unit. Be sure to use your texts as a reference for your work. Discuss liability in health care, legal concepts and principles, and use legal terminology from the Reading supporting your opinion about the improper disclosure.
Part 1 writing requirements: Your summary should be approximately 500 words.
Visit The Joint Commission (TJC), Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) websites and spend some time navigating the sites to learn more about these important healthcare regulatory agencies.
The Joint Commission. (2018). Retrieved from www.jointcommission.org
Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. (2018). Retrieved from http://www.carf.org/home/
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (2018). Retrieved from https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Regulations-and-Guidance.html
Select ONE of the agencies above and evaluate how the following items in order to prepare for your written assignment:
- What is the importance of the agency you selected?
- Identify and compare the documentation guidelines for the health record from the agency you selected for at least 2 different healthcare settings.
- What are the ramifications if documentation guidelines are not met from each of the healthcare settings you chose (stakeholders perspective)?
- How often do facilities undergo surveys?
Written Assignment Requirements:
- For your written assignment you will utilize your research in order to write an informative essay that reviews the areas outlined in the questions above. The informative essay you create will be used as a job-aid for new hires at your facility.
- Your informative essay should be a minimum of 500 words, in MS Word format, double-spaced with 12 pt Times New Roman font.
- Include a title page and reference page. Be sure to use APA in-text citations in addition to the reference page to attribute each source.
- Your writing should follow APA format and follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.).
- Your writing should be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful. Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics.