Activity: Week 2 SWOT PowerPoint
Due Week 2 and worth 200 points
Dr. John Bradley is an Emergency Room physician. He worked a 24-hour shift due to a staff shortage. As a result, he had a patient that died because he failed to provide a duty of care, he breached his duty, and caused an injury. A prima facie case of negligence was established when Dr. Bradley failed to provide appropriate medical care. Liability was also based on â€˜res ipsa loguitorâ€™ (the thing speaks for itself). The incident is considered a Sentinel Event and must be reported to The Joint Commission (a non-profit hospital regulatory agency).
After a trend analysis of several Sentinel Events, â€œWe Care Hospitalâ€ fired the Health Care Administrator. As a result, you were hired as the new Health Care Administrator. You have reviewed the Sentinel Event with Dr. John Bradley and discovered several factors that showed the hospital was negligent. The three basic forms for negligence are malfeasance, misfeasance, and nonfeasance. Your first task is to rationalize your answers by using any applicable legal precedents.
Then, prepare a Microsoft PowerPoint 10-slide narrative using a SWOT Analysis. A SWOT Analysis identifies strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats in a situation. Review the video: Strategic Planning and SWOT Analysis. To help you prepare the narrative PowerPoint using Microsoft 365 and older versions, review the video: Record a slide show with narration and slide timings.
Your 10-slide SWOT PowerPoint should follow this format:
- Slide 1: Cover Page
- Include the title of your presentation, the course number and course title, your name, your professorâ€™s name, and the date.
- Slide 2: Background / Executive Summary
- Describe the details of the situation. Use bullets with short sentences. The title of this slide should be Executive Summary.
- Slide 3: Thesis Statement
- Identify the focus of your research. The title of this slide should be Thesis Statement.
- Slides 4-9: Support
- Support your thesis statement following the SESC formula: State, Explain, Support, and Conclude. (An overview of using Sublevel 1 and Sublevel 2 headings is provided in the following video: APA Style – Formatting the Title Page, Abstract, and Body).
- You should include at least three court cases and related peer-reviewed articles from within the past five years. In-text citations should be in the American Psychological Association (APA) format.
- Slides 10: References
- Use APA format for your Reference slide. (To help you with APA in-text citations and your Reference list, some students use Citation Machine.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Examine the various applications of the law within the health care system.
- Analyze how such various applications of the law affect decisions in the development and operation of a health care organization.
Click here to view the grading rubric for this assignment.