For this short essay, you will attempt to describe what it might have been like for a prehistoric artist to make a cave painting. While I expect you to use facts from the book and articles, you can also use your imagination here to fill in some gaps in our knowledge. There’s a lot we don’t know about prehistoric cave paintings – why they were made, why the locations were chosen, the thoughts of the people who made them or saw them. Use your best educated guesses to fill in those questions, without straying too far from what your book and articles say. You can be creative and approach this like a story, or just present it as a general description.
Consider the following:
- What would it have been like to make art in the distant depths of a cave?
- Who was the person making the painting?
- What materials were used?
- What was the subject or subjects?
- Why were the cave paintings made?
- What was their importance to the people?
This is an essay and it should be formatted as a formal piece of writing. This means a paragraph structure with complete sentences. Grammar and spelling are also important – I have to be able to understand what you’re trying to say.
There is no length requirement but you should aim for about a page.