Case Study 1: Terrorism and the Media
Due Week 4 and worth 75 points
On April 15, 2013, two bombs were set off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Three people were killed and over 260 were injured. The initial investigation and manhunt spanned several days after the bombing. The media covered these events live as they occurred and in great detail.
Use the Internet or Strayer databases (located at https://research.strayer.edu) to research the bombing incident, emergency response to the incident, media coverage, and the investigation after the incident. In context of the incident, also research the debate between the publicâ€™s right to know versus operational security.
Write a 2-4-page paper in which you do the following:
- Summarize the attack, the initial investigation, and the manhunt for the suspects.
- Describe the media coverage of these events, and assess the degree to which the media affected the publicâ€™s perception of the attack.
- Evaluate the extent to which the media helped or hindered each of the following:
- The immediate emergency response at the scene of the bombing
- The investigation of the incident
- The manhunt for the suspects
- Assess the importance of the mediaâ€™s role as a force multiplier for terrorists.
- Take a position on the debate between the publicâ€™s right to know versus operational security.
- Use at least three quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than that for other Strayer courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with 1-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is as follows:
- Evaluate how media, law enforcement, and other organizations influence terrorist groups.